Monday, May 7, 2007

Original Setup Carputer

This is my initial Test mockup. I knew I wanted somthing flashy that regardless of the stock interior really demanded awe from everyone who walked by. I spend around 70 dollars on the computer in this cars dash. The screen however was around 250. The screen was a 7 inch touch screen. This little guy was able to display impecable images and fast video ie. gaming without any crossing patch lines or jaggy edges. The motherboard was from newegg.com and made by PC Chips. The model was AN7/266. That is a AMD socket a processor and 266 FSB. I put in an AMD barton 2500+ Not the fasted computer now but far surpasses anything you could use (yes even gaming). I say this because This big factor that uses processing power is graphics. The screen is very small. So the required system effort is much less than that of a large 15-19 inch screen you would use at home. The computer took care of all navigation, Sorage or around 20 gigabytes of music and had a DVD player plugged directly to the computer at the floorboards edge. Out of the way of feet. Except that time my Girlfriend was jumping in the car and managed to kick back edge of the mount and scuff her pretty little 3 inch high hills. Oh how I miss those high hills. So now I coat things with texture spray or silicone to prevent cuts. In this picture I also shortened the shifter 2 inches. I did this so when my hand rests on the shifter, my fingers would be level with the touch screen :)
This setup was great. was navigation capable and could even remind me to get to work. The dash is covered with .25 in this plexiglass molded by hand. As well as the glove box being totally removed and also replaced with a clear cover. The bezel originally was made not out of fiberglass but polyester body filler. This is really hard so if your not a little artistic and have much patience, dont try it that way.

No comments: